We were flying out of Zadar, Croatia so since we had already rented a car we decided to make the drive from Dubrovnik to Zadar. Croatia has some brand new, beautiful highways and other than a short stop at the border checkpoints at the 10 mile stretch of Bosnia you have to cross, the trip was quick and easy. We were running a little low on fuel leaving Dubrovnik, but we decided (ahem, I decided) that we could just stop for fuel later. Procrastination is the mother of frustration, and as I frequently do, I put off the gas stop a bit too long. At least that's what everyone else thought; I was just doing proper fuel planning. As the fuel gauge needle dropped into the red mid-rainstorm, and the little digital "fuel remaining" counter ticked down to 5 miles, I set the cruise control to what I guessed was Max Range in a Toyota Versa (87 kph). Due to my excellent fuel planning (or luckily for me, depending on how you look at it) we found a gas station just before we hit empty on the gauge. Although everybody knows when that happens you really have a little bit of gas left. Right? I was more than a little relieved when I pulled into the gas station without having stranded us on the side of the road in Croatia in a rainstorm. That would have been bad.
We continued north to Zadar and since we were getting in to town with a few hours to kill we decided to do a quick tour of the city. It was a very nice town with much of the same limestone architecture and port city feel of Split and Dubrovnik, but it's not quite as grand as those other two. We did, however, find a little market that was selling some awesome hats. Jen found one that she liked, and although she didn't get it that day, I'm pretty sure that if we go back she'll buy one. Oh, and there's a military base near the airport with an Mi-8 (or is it an Mi-17?) parked near the gate. Cool.
We continued north to Zadar and since we were getting in to town with a few hours to kill we decided to do a quick tour of the city. It was a very nice town with much of the same limestone architecture and port city feel of Split and Dubrovnik, but it's not quite as grand as those other two. We did, however, find a little market that was selling some awesome hats. Jen found one that she liked, and although she didn't get it that day, I'm pretty sure that if we go back she'll buy one. Oh, and there's a military base near the airport with an Mi-8 (or is it an Mi-17?) parked near the gate. Cool.


No comments:
Post a Comment