
About a week back the boat pulled in to port in Guam. We had a great time; snorkeling, sea kayaking, karaokeing. It was lots of fun, but short lived (and too expensive). I was surprised to find out that Guam is also a destination of choice for Japanese tourists, so the area where we stayed looked like little Honolulu: Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Fendi, and other euro-couture as far as the eye can see. It's a beautiful little island, surrounded by reefs filled with brightly colored fish and sea turtles (I saw one!). I was disappointed that I didn't get to fly around the island during the day (I only flew at night, and everything looks pretty much the same through a set of night vision goggles). If I had to describe it, I would say that the topography and flora of Guam are reminiscent of a lovechild of Okinawa and Hawaii. Like Okinawa, Guam is fairly flat, with only rolling hills unlike Hawaii with its towering mountains. Guam is definitely tropical, though, and like Hawaii is covered with viny jungles and canopies of leafy trees. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary there. I tried some Chamorro barbecue, but it tasted just like normal grilled chicken to me. Overall, Guam was a nice place to visit, but I don't think I'll be itching to get back any time soon.
We left Guam after a few days of fun, and then the planning began for our trip west. Our next stop is Thailand, and we're pretty excited for that. I've never been, so it should be interesting. I'll be sure to post some pictures when we get back on the boat and get underway.
No comments:
Post a Comment